Friday, October 1, 2010

Wendy...a new era for Trudy and Robert

Hello Again Dear Friends,

It's been a month since my last post. I suppose going that long hasn't been the best decision...as I have found my grieving to be more intense over the last few weeks. Writing our Love Story helps, perhaps, in counting the many blessings that have been experienced in our life together. And, man-o-man, what a great life God gave us...what a great woman He gave me in Trudy!

Let me digress for just a moment to illustrate the point. You see, there was a time some years back, before I transitioned to the ministry, that the ladies in the church we were attending were discussing the topic of biblical submission...a subject of varying opinions for sure...and someone had the brainstorm of suggesting that they ask Trudy to teach the lesson, because she modeled that biblical trait so beautifully. Now, let me relate something to focus on Trudy, so don't get ahead of me...some time later, I was told that one of the group had said something like: "well if I was married to Robert, I'd be submissive too!" I laughed out loud when I heard that comment...for Trudy wasn't submissive because of me!!!! She was a model of godliness and gentleness because of her deep and personal relationship with the Lord. Friend, she influenced me to be more of the godly man that I was supposed to be...not the other way around. Trudy Ann Benoit Daniel is the best illustration of godliness I have ever witnessed...I am thankful that in God's providence, I was privileged to be her one and only husband.

Back in those early "pre-children" days, we truly enjoyed our busy life. Constantly having friends over, going on weekend trips (like the one pictured to Six Flags in Arlington, TX), church activities, and being with family at every opportunity. During those days we had a nice boat that we used for Bass fishing and for water skiing. When we decided that it was time for Robert to go back to school to get his college degree, we made three significant adjustments economically. We sold the bass boat, moved to a smaller house, and Robert had to take a couple of years sabbatical from the Ditch Witch Trencher Company that he loved. During the first couple of years back in school at LSU-Shreveport, Robert had a variety of jobs...Sporting Goods sales at Montgomery Wards, Life Insurance, and believe it or not...armed Security Guard! You can't imagine the agonized look on Trudy's face every night when I'd become "Dirty Harry" as I'd strap on my "Magnum Force" sidearm and head off to the steel refinery to protect life, limb, and property with my menacing presence. Thankfully, nobody took my gun away from me and put hurtin' on my head.

Late in 1975, Trudy and I felt the time was right for us to begin the parenting stage of our married life. It didn't take long when, just barely into 1976, Trudy excitedly reported that she was pregnant. We were so excited and we began to plan how we would break the news...first to her parents...then to mine and then to the rest of the waiting world! We would drive down to her parent's house on Tiger Lake Road between Alexandria and Lecompte, Louisiana, and burst in the front door with our exciting news. Another case of "best laid plans" going up in smoke. We had driven for a couple of hours with none of that pesky morning sickness and were just about to the driveway, when Trudy said, "Robert! Pull over...NOW!!!" Well I drove through the shallow ditch in front of her parents house...I mean we were right there...slammed on the brakes as she opened the door, leaned over, and...well you get the picture! Apparently we made quite a commotion and drew her mother's curiosity as she looked out and saw us. She came running out and started squealing: "You're Pregnant! You're Pregnant! Yee Haw, you're pregnant!" Between gags, Trudy said in a throaty and quite disgusted voice: "Yes, and this wasn't how I wanted to tell you!" What can I say, we always did know how to make an entrance. It was so hilarious, it took better part of an hour to get our composure back and stop laughing. As you can imagine, her dad had to hear the story when he got there from the dairy barn, too.

Well the months of pregnancy went quite well. Trudy was radiantly beautiful and she got past the morning sickness and really felt great. She took some natural child birth classes and felt really prepared. The "due date" was to be October 3. 1976, but things weren't progressing as the date arrived...so we decided to help it along. On the night of the 3rd, we went to a loud movie: "Midway" a WWII film in "Sensurround" sound! We thought maybe the sound wave vibrations might get things going...alas...no luck. That lead to the next step...the old wives tale of taking, yuk, castor oil! Can't believe Trudy did that, but she gagged down some of that nasty stuff and waited. Can I just tell you that the effect was not the desired effect! Never again would we see that substance in our house!

In due time, she simply followed nature's course and on October 10, 1976, after 12 hours of labor, Wendy was born. There was plenty of time for the cavalry to arrive, too! While I was in the old fashioned "Father's Waiting Room," I thought it might be about time for Trudy's mom, sister, and sister-in-law, to get there. I don't know why they didn't just call my cell...but anyway, I headed to the staircase to stroll down to wait on them and show them to the waiting area. I opened the door to the staircase and heard the most excited bunch of giggling I'd ever heard. Vickie, Katy, and Mama pretty much ran right over my chest, danced on my head, and ran down my back before they even noticed I was who they were looking for! They were sooooo excited to get there and so glad they were in time. Me and Mama (or I should say from now on...Granny) were standing right outside the door to the delivery room when we heard the sweet sound of our Wendy's first cry's. In a jiffy, Nurse Adkins came out of the door holding this beautiful miracle...our precious Wendy. My heart just melted...right there in front of Nurse Adkins, Granny, and God Himself! I could not believe my eyes...this was our baby...the one we had been waiting those nine months (and a week) for. I was beside myself with thankfulness. Wendy was simply perfect and Trudy, though tired and sore, was beaming at the fulfillment of this awesome journey of childbirth. Once again, my love for Trudy grew.

We loved being Wendy's parents. Trudy did everything so naturally and perfectly as the ideal mother. It's an amazing thing, this thing called love. We gave our love fully to Wendy...yet our love for each other...instead of diminishing...grew to even greater realms.

Wendy, my wonderful daughter; you were amazingly loved by you amazing mother. At every moment of your life, no mother could have lavished more love upon you. She worked hard to make sure that she taught you and modeled for you the virtues of godly womanhood. With patience, poise, and a steady touch she was simply the perfect mom. Play, work, nurture, and learning were always in just the right balance.

Next time, could our love story grow enough to embrace a boy child?

Blessings,
Robert

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. (1 Samuel 1:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment