Sunday, May 30, 2010

Trudy and Robert...A Love Story


Hello Friends and Family,

Forty-one years ago, in a moment eternally etched in my m
emory, I caught my first glimpse of Trudy Benoit! It was the start of the 1969 Summer term at LSU-Alexandria, Louisiana. Trudy, the conscientious student, was approaching the Science Building for her scheduled class...Robert, the...well...the non-conscientious student, was heading to the Student Union for a game of Ping Pong. Out of the corner of my eye, about a hundred yards to my left, I saw this stunningly beautiful blond co-ed walking with a couple of friends. She had reacted in such a perfectly pure expression of joy in her friend's comment with her hands on her hips full body gesture that I could tell even from my far off distance, read: "I can't believe you just said that!" Her motion was followed by laughter from her and her friends...and I was instantly smitten. I cataloged the moment in a "got to find out who that is" mental file and just as quickly as I had spotted her...she disappeared into the building and I went on the the waiting Ping Pong game. The next day I went to Mr. Powell's English Literature class and sat on the second row from the front and the second seat from the wall closest to the door. As I casually glimpsed around the room I was delighted to discover that the blond co-ed I had seen the day prior was seated just three seats behind me! Was it luck or was it divine providence?

Well after a few weeks, I was beginning to think that it was neither luck nor pro
vidence. Seems that the lovely Miss Benoit was very popular and there was never a moment that she wasn't accompanied by her troupe of friends. Worse, I didn't think I had generated even the slightest blip on her radar. At least the Summer session was short and Mr. Powell's English class was mercifully drawing to a close. On the day of the final exam, I had car pooled with a friend and we had parked in the lot by the Gymnasium. He was taking a final exam that day too, but he was in a different subject. So, when I completed my English final and turned it in, I went back to his car to wait for him. Amazingly enough, when I got to the car, Trudy was at the car right next to mine...waiting for its driver to finish her exam. Well, at that divine appointment, Trudy, found me quite approachable and a willing conversationalist! Finally, I now knew the name of this object of my infatuation. Yes, that is the moment that I met Trudy. In the student parking area at the Gymnasium at LSU-A! A moment that we joyfully retold to numerous small groups over the years.

I may have only gotten a "C" in Mr. Powell's English, but somehow, I would s
core an "A+" in the weightier matter of finding my soul-mate, and my life partner...eventually, that is. I can still take you to the very spot on which she was standing in that transcendent moment that I first saw her.

Somehow, I was certain that an enduring love story had begun. But, there was to be a rather lengthy interval between our introduction to each other and our first date. That will have to wait for a later chapter. Next, the interesting interval period.

Blessings,

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment