Friday, July 16, 2010



Hello Friends and Family,

Trudy and Robert had a simply outstanding Summer 1971. We checked-out more picnic spots, enjoyed some long drives, and generally enjoyed the awe we shared in spending time with each other. The Benoit household was humming with activity. Mr. Benoit worked tirelessly with the dairy farm, and the family was preparing for the August wedding of Katy to Lloyd Price.

I was trying to get the hang of being an engaged man...oh, no problem with being engaged to Trudy...it was the other details that I was so clueless about. I was pretty sure that I was stumbling pretty miserably with Mr. Benoit. Two distinct events
made my nervous stomach get to "high anxiety" levels. First, even in my naivety, I knew for a certainty that you don't keep a man's daughter out too late...oops just doesn't work. One night Trudy and I went to a double feature at the Showtown Twin Drive In near the old South Circle in Alexandria. I promise, I didn't know how late those double features ran! We drove into the drive way at the Benoit house, and just as I pulled up and turned the ignition off, headlights still briefly on, there was Mr. Benoit coming out of the front door. Can I tell you I felt like crawling under the seat! I don't even know what Trudy was feeling, but my heart sunk. Well, you may know that work on the dairy begins mighty early...we had stayed out so late that we got home just as he was heading out to the dairy barn! He didn't come out to the car, he didn't even look toward us, but his nonverbal communication was perfectly clear!

The next time for that "sinking" feeling was one Friday evening when I realized that we were well into making wedding plans and I hadn't yet spoken to Mr. Benoit in asking his permission. So, I called him the next day, right after lunch, and ask
ed him if I could speak with him later that evening. I was no good with words in those days and my mind was scrambling, trying to figure out how to present him with my "late" request to seek his daughter's hand in marriage. Now, I can't remember what I said to him, but I sure remember what he said to me: "Robert, you have my blessings." I think I was a about two miles down the road before I remembered that I needed to tell Trudy! A happy fiance was Trudy's beau.

We had other great experiences that Summer. My brothers and their families came in to see mom and dad, Marcia, Trudy and me. Needless to say, my family adored Trudy from the get-go. We also had an occasion to head down to Elton, Louisiana, to meet Mrs. Benoit's family...the Marvin and Magie Manuel clan. It was inspection time for both Lloyd Price and Robert Daniel...to just see how these old boys held up to the Manuel magnifying glass! I didn't suspect anything other that just meeting some more family. After lunch everybody kind of assembled in big circle and the questions began. I don't know if "intimidated" is the right word, but I felt something akin to that. It was all good-natured and I suppose we passed the test. I could see real quick, where Mrs. Benoit got her wit and extroverted personality...this was a family that was always fun to be around.

Finally, Summer was over. Trudy had transferred to Louisiana College in Pineville, Louisiana, and the Big Day was ever so slowly moving closer and closer. We were as ready as a couple of twenty year olds could be.

The following is an excerpt from Trudy's Blog that was entered in honor of our 38th Anniversary just this past year.

November 6, 1971, there were several significant events that made that da
y stand out as a day to remember. I know I'll never forget that day.

It was a crisp Fall day...brimming with a sense of destiny. It was election day. Edwin Edwards and J. Bennett Johnston emerged as the front runners in the Gubernatorial race. Later, Edwin Edwards would become the 50th Governor of Louisiana. Closer to home, Luther N. Shackelford was on the local ballot as a candidate for the Rapides Parish Police Jury (similar to a County Commissioner, for you non-Louisianans). I called Luther N. Shackelford, "boss" and "Uncle." And, I was heavily involved in his election effort, which by the way, was a successful effort!

Football, strangely enough was popular just as it is today. And there was a huge rivalry game that would be quite intense...Alabama and LSU were playing! LSU f
ans would tolerate only the least of intrusions into their preparations for viewing the big game.

Further, Deer season was opening and eagerly anticipated on this absolutely perfect day for the "Hunter's Paradise" known as Louisiana. Hunters, real hunters, don't miss opening day of Deer season...period!!

Lastly, Robert was scurrying around with the oddest of activities. He was funnily attempting to hide his 1967 Mustang behind the Meat market on Hwy. 167 South. Also, he had an appointment that morning at the Razor's Edge; to get the best haircut possible. And, he had numerous family members in town from all over the U.S.A.! Trudy, too, was wearily but tirelessly, marshaling her family members (and Pam!) to be at certain places at certain times! Amazingly, Robert and Trudy had set this busy, incredible day as their...wedding day!!!

Miraculously, everyone seemed to manage all the logistics. Curley Maxey got his deer. Luther Shackelford got his voters to the polls, LSU fans were able to assemble around the Philco TV sets to watch an exciting game (regrettably, won 14 to 9, by the Crimson Tide), and Robert and Trudy were appropriately and wonderfully married...all on the fateful day of November 6, 1971.

Oh, and neither seemed to mind all that much that the Mustang was lettered and creamed and vaselined by the time they completed their reception duties and hopped in the car to head off to Shreveport, for their honeymoon. However, whoever put the Sardines in the engine compartment...that went way over the top!

Blessings to all...especially those readers who were there and share these memories with us. And, blessings to the two products of this marriage, Wendy and Brian. Their spouses, Wendy's Kirk, and Brian's Jessica. And special blessings, to the on going products of this marriage...grandchildren: Daniel, Melanie, Kara, and Meredith.

We were thankful to God for blessing us with a wonderful life, God-honoring children, and the richness of knowing His guidance and His provisions in every area of our
marriage.

Blessings,
Robert

P.S.: How about this picture? This was that "knee-buckling" moment when I first saw Trudy on our wedding day. Whoopee! That beautiful wedding gown was the "something borrowed" part of her ensemble. She wore her Aunt Calvelene's dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment